City of North Battleford - Saskatchewan

Frequently Asked Questions

Check out the list of Frequently Asked Questions concerning roads and sidewalks, water, waste management, parks and urban forests by clicking on the respective topic. A list of common questions regarding this topic will then open up.

We advise consulting this FAQ before calling City Hall on these subjects. If you cannot find what you are looking for, call City Hall at 306-445-1700. We gladly answer your questions.

You can also download the entire FAQ here.

Smart Water (AMI) Water Meters

What are Smart Water Meters?
Smart water meters, utilize Advance Metering Infrastructure (AMI) which is a technology that allows utility meters to be read remotely. These upgraded water meters will allow accurate on-demand, and automatic utility reading. A web portal will be provided in the first quarter of 2022, providing users with in depth information about their water consumption.

How long is this project expected to take?
The installation of the upgraded water meters will be completed in zones. The first zone was opened on March 1st, 2021. The entire city is expected to be upgraded by the second quarter of 2022, with a targeted completion of March 31st, 2022.

What is the installation process for residences and businesses?
The installation process for residences and businesses is similar. Customers will need to call KTI Limited and book an appointment and a KTI Installer will arrive, shut off the water to the home, change out the meter, and install a transmitter.

Residential appointments are normally completed within 30 to 45 minutes.

Business appointments are normally completed within 30 minutes to two hours. Business interruptions may be longer, depending on the size of the water meter and complexity of the plumbing.

Will my water be shut off?

Your water will be turned off for part of the duration of the installation period. With normal use and consumption resuming after the upgrade is complete for your property.

How much will the installation cost me?
There is no cost for the meter installation. Customers may incur fee’s if their current water meter is blocked or inaccessible. KTI Limited requires unobstructed access to your water meter. If you have built around your meter there will be a cost to gain access to the meter, and in some instances you will need to hire a contractor to provide access to the water meter. 

What happens if I don't make an appointment?
If after three (3) rounds of communication, a customer has not booked an installation appointment, the City will send a notice of pending water shut-off to the property. If a property fails to book within the conditions of the pending shut-off notice, their water will be shutoff until at such time they have booked an installation appointment.

Can I build around the meter?
Water meters need to remain accessible at all times. If there is ever a problem with your meter the City requires access to the meter to replace or repair it.

Who will perform the installation?
KTI Utility Services (KTI) has been contracted by the City to carry out the installations.
KTI employees can be identified with a KTI uniform, identification badge, and will be driving vehicles with the company name and logo.

If my Property has a water bypass?
The City Waterworks Bylaw 1706 prohibits water bypasses. When bypasses are identified by KTI Ltd, the City of North Battleford will request that the property remove the bypass. If a property does not remove a bypass it may experience bylaw enforcement which could include water shutoff or penalties.

Who do I contact if I have problems with my installation?
If you experience a leak after installation please contact KTI Ltd. If the leak has occurred downstream of the water meter the residence may be responsible for the plumbing repairs.
If you are unable to contact KTI Ltd. Please contact City Hall.
If you have any concerns or complaints related to the quality of the work or the customer experience, please contact City Hall.

Will my water bill increase?
As analog meters reach their life expectancy, they can lose up to 15% efficiency. This means that your previous meter may have been underestimating water usage by up to 15%, causing your bill to remain historically lower overtime. Whereas your new AMI Smart Meter will record your consumption accurately and bill accordingly.

There is a one-time billing window adjustment for property owners and tenants who have installed a new Smart Water Meter. This billing adjustment moves the cut-off date for water consumption to the 31st of the same month (i.e., October 1st to October 31st).

  • For property owners: This adjustment, depending on the timing of an installation, can cause a regular 3-month bill to reflect up to 4 months of water usage
  • For tenants: This adjustment, depending on the timing of the installation, can cause a regular 1-month bill to reflect up to 2 months of water usage.

Is there an Accommodation Program?

An accommodation program is available for residential properties. Accommodated properties will have a new AMI compatible water meter installed without the radio transmitter. To be eligible for the accommodation program, property owners or tenants with owner's acknowledgement need to complete the application form and agree to monthly fee’s and future radio installation removal fee’s (at the time of the radio removal or installation), and agree to allow a City worker to enter the premises on a quarterly basis to complete manual meter reads.

My water pressure has reduced since my meter was upgraded, what happened?

Unscrew the aerator at the tap in question and clean it.  Changing the water meter can cause built up scale in the pipe to break loose and, plugging the tap aerator.  If that does not work, ensure the valve below the water meter is open fully.  If that still does not fix the problem and bring water pressure back to normal, contact City Hall, and we will have someone go over to determine and solve the problem.


 For the most up to date and accurate information about COVID-19 please visit the Health Canada website at


Why did I get a parking ticket when the sweeper or grader didn’t go down my street?

The purpose of No Parking times is to provide a time period for street maintenance such as street cleaning, street sweeping, snow removal, sanding, grading, etc.

Please note that Parking restrictions are enforced by Community Safety Officers even if maintenance is not in progress during the designated time. Please refer to the Parking Restriction Map in Traffic Bylaw 1946, Schedule J.

I need to park on the street during the no parking period. What can I do?

Contact City Hall at 306-445-1700 to explain why you need to park on the street during the restricted time. A street use permit may be issued and the Community Safety Officers will be informed to not ticket the permitted area. Permits are often granted for major events such as weddings graduations.

Why do some streets have parking and no parking on the same day?

There are a number of streets that have two different days for parking. In cases like Bluejay Crescent, Abbott Avenue, Foley Drive or Henderson Drive, if the street turns approximately 90 degrees, City Administration changed a portion of the street’s no parking to another day to allow residents to move their vehicle to another portion of the same street during the No Parking time and not get ticketed.


Does the City of North Battleford have an airport?
Yes, the City has the City of North Battleford Cameron McIntosh Airport, designation CYQW.

 What is the airport location Information:
Coordinates: N52°46.15’ / W108°14.67’, Elevation 1799 feet MSL. Magnetic variation from 2013 is 12°. Time Zone is UTC-6.

What are the Airport Communications?
Remote Communication Outlet (RCO):    Winnipeg Radio 123.375 (FISE) 126.7 (bcst)
Mandatory Frequency (MF):  traffic 122.1 (no ground station) 5NM 4800 ASL (CAR 602.98)
Automatic Weather Observation System (AWOS): 128.125

Is the airport registered or certified?
The airport is classified as a certified aerodrome under Transport Canada Regulations.

Is there an operations time that the airport is open?
The City of North Battleford Cameron McIntosh Airport is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.  The airport is manned from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

What are the lengths of the runways?
The city has two asphalt runways, 12/30 and 06/24. As well as grass strips beside the runway.  06/24 (the crosswind runway) is closed and is only used at the pilot’s discretion. 

What are the lengths of the runways?
Runway 12/30 is 5,000 feet in length and approximately 150 feet wide.
Runway 06/24 is 2,572 feet in length and approximately 50 feet wide.

What are the runway headings?
Runway 12 is 124°.  Runway 30 is 304°
Runway 06 is 064°.  Runway 24 is 244°

Can the runway be used for car shows or as a race track?
No.  The airport has several unscheduled flights in and out of it, including Air Ambulance flights, STARS, etc.  The airport must always be ready to receive these flights, as well as any aircraft making an emergency landing.

Can I fuel my aircraft at the City of North Battleford Cameron McIntosh airport?
Yes, there are self-service pumps supplying Jet A and 100 LL AvGas fuels.  Payment can be made with Visa, Mastercard and Amex. 

Does the airport have an aircraft service crew?

Does the airport have a downtown shuttle service?
No.  However, pilots may make arrangements for a rented car to be left at the airport or contact the local taxi service for pickup service.

What services are at the airport terminal?
The airport has washrooms and telephone service. 

What services are within 5 miles of the terminal building?
Telephone, taxi, medical aid, emergency services (Police, Fire, Ambulance), restaurants, accommodations, vehicle rental, recreational facilities.

Can I park my aircraft at the airport?
Yes, but there is an aircraft parking fee.  Please check ahead for fees as they may change without notice.  Fees can be paid at the Battlefords Airspray’s hanger or by making payment arrangements with the City of North Battleford’s City Hall.  Please note, the airport does not supply tie-downs.

Is there a landing fee at the airport?
Yes, there is a landing fee for aircraft weighing over 2,000 Kg.

Does the City lease hangar space to park my aircraft?
No.  However, there are several individuals and private firms that may lease hangar space.

If I have questions about the City of North Battleford airport, who do I contact?
For further information, please contact the City of North Battleford Airport Staff at (306) 445-6606 or (306) 441-5807.

Temporary Road and Sidewalk Closures

How do I close the road/sidewalk due to construction/renovations to my property?

The first step is to apply for a temporary street use permit which is purchased from the City. Please refer to the Temporary Street Use Permit, part of the Traffic Bylaw 1946 (Schedule D).

What information do I need to apply for a Temporary Street Use Permit?

1. Who is closing the road/sidewalk?
2. The applicant's address and telephone number
3. The type of closure, i.e.: sidewalk, street, alley, boulevard or other
4. How long will the road/sidewalk will be closed?
5. A diagram of the closure area
6. A Traffic/Pedestrian Accommodation Plan to include: Signage required i.e.: detour, road closure, road closure ahead, squeeze left/right, work zone, end of a work zone, etc.; What barricades will be required?; Will the barricades be rented from the City?; What road/sidewalk accommodations are being provided for detouring pedestrians and traffic around the site; Any other pertinent information to the road/sidewalk closure. 

Does the City provide Traffic/Pedestrian Accommodation Plans?

No. That is the responsibility of the contractor or property owner who is wishing to close the street/sidewalk.

Who reviews the Traffic/Pedestrian Accommodation Plans once completed?

The City will review the Plans and may make recommendations to the applicant.

Can any road/sidewalk be closed at any time?

No. The City reserves the right to deny road/sidewalk closures depending on the time of year, the length of time of the proposed closure or the proposed road/sidewalk to be temporary.

Will the City rent barricades?

Yes, barricades can be rented if the City has barricades available and is not planning to use them on a project in the near future.

Will the City rent traffic signs?

No. Sign rental can be obtained from commercial traffic sign companies.

Will the City take responsibility for the road closure?


Will the City provide staffing to direct traffic?


Can the temporary street/sidewalk closure be extended?

Depending on the situation, the location and length of the closure to date, and the proposed additional time requested, the City may extend or reissue a temporary street/sidewalk closure.


What is a pothole?

Potholes are areas of road surface that have cracked, worn away, and eventually formed a hole.

What causes a pothole?

Potholes are caused by the expansion and contraction of ground water after the water has entered into the ground under the pavement. When water freezes, it expands and takes up more space under the pavement. The pavement will then expand, bend, and crack, which weakens the material pavement. When the ice melts, the pavement contracts and leaves gaps or voids in the surface under the pavement, where water can get in and be trapped. If the water freezes and thaws over and over, the pavement will weaken and continue cracking.

As the weight of cars and trucks pass over the weak spot in the road, pieces of the roadway material weaken, which will cause the material to break down from the weight creating a pothole.

Potholes cause problems for motorists and City maintenance crews during the spring as we experience the freeze-thaw cycle more frequently. As the roads become bare, more cracks are exposed making pavement even more vulnerable.

How do I report a pothole in the street?

If you see a significant pothole, call City Hall and report it to Central Reception 306-445-1700. They will record the location of the pothole and contact Road Maintenance to assess, and if necessary, fill in the pothole.

I damaged my car when I hit a pothole. What do I do to make a damage claim?

If your car is damaged by a pothole you must make claim through your insurance company. The City will not enter into negotiations regarding vehicle damage claims. Your insurer will ask you the following questions:

1. When did the damage happen?
2. Where was the pothole?
3. What damage was caused to the vehicle?
4. How fast were you travelling when you drove into the pothole?
5. Could you have avoided the pothole?
6. Were there any witnesses?
7. What did you do after hitting the pothole?
8. Did you notify the City of North Battleford?

The City reminds motorists to adhere to road conditions. If you see a pothole, slow down. If the pothole is full of water, try to avoid it, as you do not know how deep the pothole is.


Construction equipment drove over my sidewalk and broke it. Will the City repair it?

We will assess the sidewalk to determine how it broke and the age of the sidewalk. If heavy equipment caused the damage, the contractor or property owner who hired the contractor will be charged for the repair. If it is necessary for someone to drive over the sidewalk, they should contact City Hall ahead of time to receive instructions on how to do so properly.

A tree next to my sidewalk has cracked and lifted the sidewalk. Will the City fix it?

The cracking of the sidewalk with uneven vertical displacement is known as “trips”. If the trip has a vertical displacement of  ¼ inch (6 mm) or more, the City will try to remove it under the Sidewalk Trip Removal Program.

The City has a sidewalk trip program where they assign a contractor to a particular area to inspect each sidewalk and remove the vertical displacement cracks. However, If the trip is extreme, further measures may have to be taken by the City including the removal and re-pouring of the concrete sidewalk panels, and/or removal of the offending tree root and/or tree.

If a resident notes a trip hazard that exceeds ¼ inch in height, please call the City at 306-445-1700 with the location of the trip.


When does the City start plowing snow?

The City will start plowing snow when it gets to be approximately 4 to 8 inches high. In back alleys, the snow has to be approximately 12 inches high.

How does the City determine which streets to snowplow first?

Each street has been given a priority rating. See our Snow Removal Plowing Map.

Priority 1 streets are major traffic routes or those used by emergency services. These include the downtown area, Pioneer Ave, the Railway Avenues, Carlton Trail, Heritage Way, 11th Ave to the Hospital, etc. Priority 1 streets are cleaned within the first three days after a snowfall event.

Priority 2 streets “collect” traffic from other areas of the City and direct them to Priority 1 streets. These streets include 110th St, 15th Ave, Diefenbaker Ave, Douglas Ave, 19th Ave, etc. Priority 2 streets are cleaned within 7 days of a major weather event.

Priority 3 streets are low traffic residential streets and some of Parson Industrial Park. These streets are cleaned after Priority 1 and 2 roads have been cleaned following the No Parking schedule.

Back alleys are cleaned last, and only if requested and if the snow is 12” or higher. However, if a snowstorm occurs before all the streets have been cleaned from a previous snowfall, the City will start over again by cleaning Priority 1 streets first.

What is a windrow?

A snow windrow is the pile of snow that accumulates at the edge of the road when the road is plowed. The snow can also be windrowed into the centre of the street and picked up at a later date.

Why does the City windrow some streets and not others?

Snow windrowing is done on residential streets or business areas that do not have sidewalks. The most efficient method to plow snow is to push it into a long continuous pile (windrow) along the side of the street. Downtown, the snow is windrowed into the centre of the street and picked up at a later date to provide enough room for fire trucks and emergency vehicles to operate.

Where there are residential and business driveways or alley entrances, City crews do their best to leave an opening in the windrow to allow vehicles to pass through into the driveway or alley.

Why does the snowplow leave a windrow at the end of my driveway?

Plow operators do not intentionally block driveways with snow. The plows have limited control over the amount and direction of snow that comes off the snow gate on the grader plow. There are a number of reasons why a snow windrow may have been left in front of your driveway.

1. If the grader operator cannot clearly see the property owner’s driveway because it’s covered with snow, they cannot drop the snow gate to stop the flow of snow.

2. Double or triple driveways are too wide to clear fully as the snow gate cannot hold that much snow back. Therefore, the grader operator will make the best judgement as to when to allow the snow to flow off the gate. The operator’s schedule does not permit them to go back and widen the opening. Therefore, the property owner may widen the windrow themselves or hire a private company to do so. However, the snow from the removed windrow cannot be placed on the street as it creates hazardous traffic conditions that could result in an accident.

Where a back alley entrance or neighbour’s driveway is close to their driveway entrance, or the driveway is next to a street crossing, the grader operator will make the best judgement when to close or open the snow gate.

3. City policy allows for a maximum 12-inch high snow ridge to be left. Property owners should shovel the ridge to the windrow if concerned.

I park on the street and have an opening in the snow windrow to pass through from my sidewalk to the street. Will the City keep it open?

No. If the property owner wishes to have the opening, they must remove the snow windrow themselves.

I do not want the windrow in front of my property. Will the City remove it?

No. The homeowner may remove the snow windrow themselves or hire a contractor to remove the snow. The City will not reimburse the property owner to remove the windrow nor can the snow from the removed windrow be placed on the road that was cleared or placed in such a way as to impede or cause a dangerous situation to either passing traffic or pedestrians.

If I remove the snow windrow, the next time the City plows the street, will they remove it?

No. The only time City crews will remove windrows is if the Roads Foreman feels the driving lane has become too narrow resulting in a safety hazard.

The City left a windrow on my sidewalk. What do I do?

If the windrow covers more than 50% of the sidewalk, please contact City Hall at 306-445-1700 or complete a service request through our service tracker here A city employee will come out and assess and if found to be covering more than 50%, will arrange to have the windrow removed from the sidewalk.

If the windrow covers less than 50% of the sidewalk, the property owner is responsible for cleaning the area that is not covered by the windrow. No ticket will be issued.

Why does the City not remove all the snow on the city street?

It is more cost-effective to push the snow to the side of the street and allow it to melt rather than to pick it up and haul it to an official snow dump.


Will the City clean my sidewalk if someone drives and pushes the snow windrow on my sidewalk?


No.  If someone drives into the windrow and pushes snow onto the sidewalk, the City will not clean the sidewalk.  The cleaning of the sidewalk is still the responsibility of the property owner that is next to the sidewalk in question.


Can I push my parking lot or driveway snow onto the street?

No. Property owners are not permitted to throw snow from their driveway or parking lot onto city streets. It can cause dangerous situations and must be placed on your property so when the snow melts, it flows directly into a drainage ditch or the City’s stormwater system.

Can I push my parking lot or driveway snow into a drainage ditch?

Property owners are not permitted to throw or pile their driveway or parking lot snow into City drainage ditches. The plowed snow usually contains sand and gravel which will fill up the drainage ditch when the snow melts and may cause flooding. 

If there is a ditch next to your property, pile the snow on your property allowing the meltwater from the snow pile to flow into the drainage ditch. The sand and gravel will stay on your property where you can pick it up and use it again in the following year.

What happens when a car is parked on the street during snow removal?

Please remove parked vehicles from the street during snow plowing or clearing operations. Parked cars not only slow down the operation but also leave large amounts of snow on the road after the car is moved, which is inconvenient for everyone and dangerous. Snow removal equipment will not come back to pick up any snow left behind due to parked vehicles.

Why was my street missed?

Severe weather conditions, mandatory working regulations, and other factors may delay our ability to clear all City roads of snow and ice. Even when all of our equipment is at work, heavy or drifting snow may re-cover streets before repeat clearing is possible. We ask the public to give us time to manage the snowstorm. Also, if there are too many vehicles parked on the street during snow removal periods, City crews will bypass the street rather than risk damaging vehicles.

Which sidewalks are the responsibility of residents, business owners and the City?

Downtown business owners are asked to clear snow and ice from their sidewalks within 24 hours and residents within 48 hours after a snowfall in accordance with City Bylaw 1900 Section 5.1. The City is responsible for clearing snow and ice from City sidewalks that are abutting next to City property (not including streets and alleys).

I am a senior, what services can the City provide me for snow removal?

There are several snow removal companies that will provide this service for a fee. In addition, there is a number of non-profit organizations that will also assist. You can also ask your neighbours if they can help you and then feel free to nominate them for the Snow Angel Program.

How do I nominate someone for the Snow Angel Program?

The Snow Angel Program encourages healthy, willing residents to help others when clearing snow from sidewalks - especially for elderly residents or anyone with health or mobility restrictions. If you lent a helping hand to a resident, you can nominate yourself or you can nominate someone that helped you as a Snow Angel. This program is for North Battleford residents only. Mail your nominations to City Hall, Box 460, 1291 - 101st Street, North Battleford, SK S9A 2Y6 or email it to Please include the name and address of the Snow Angel. We will send the snow angel and thank you note and enter them into a monthly prize draw.

What can I do to help with snow clearing?

  • Sometimes it takes a couple of passes with the plow to completely clear the street. Wait until plowing is completed, and you will only have to shovel your driveway once.
  • When you shovel your driveway, place the snow "downstream" so your driveway won't be filled in the next time the plow comes by.
  • Observe snow bylaws.
  • Don't park on a street when it’s scheduled for snow removal.
  • Don't push snow from a driveway or parking lot onto the street or sidewalk.
  • Don't park your vehicle at the end of your driveway in a way that would impede City plows.
  • Don't place garbage or garbage containers where they can be buried, damaged or interfere with snow removal.
  • Avoid unnecessary spinning of tires at intersections. This practice is dangerous and hazardous to other motorists. It also tends to "ice up" the intersections.

We attempt to minimize the impact of snow and ice. However, it is each motorist's responsibility to drive according to road conditions. 

Sewer backups

What is a sewer backup?

It is sewer backflowing into your house coming up through your floor drains, toilets, shower or bathtub drains, sink drains, or other drains that usually take water away.

What causes a sewer backup?

Most sewer backups happen when the sewer line, called the lateral, that runs from your building to the City sewer line, becomes plugged or requires maintenance. Blockages can be caused by a number of problems: root invasion, grease build-up or debris that has been flushed down a drain.

What are the most common types of sewer backup?

House plumbing backup, lateral sewer line backup, main sewer line backup.

House Plumbing Backup

If it is just one toilet, sink or tub that is giving you a problem, it may just be a clog in that drain. If, however, every flush creates a sewage backup in your home, you likely have a blockage in your main sewer line preventing wastewater from flowing through the lateral line to the public sewer systems.

A plumber needs to be called to remove the blockage. The City can assist in determining if it is a blockage in the house, but will not assist in clearing the blockage due to the work required and liability restrictions placed on City workers.

Most sewer clogs can be prevented with regular maintenance and proper use of your drains. Here are a few tips that will help keep your sewer line clear.

  • Don't use your toilet as a wastebasket - Flushing facial tissues, napkins, feminine hygiene products, diapers and other waste down your toilet creates clogs.
  • Avoid dumping large quantities of anything down your garbage disposal that can become lodged within your sewer line.
  • Don't pour grease and fat down your drain as it hardens within your plumbing, collecting debris and creating a stubborn clog.

Lateral Sewer Line Backup

The lateral sewer line is the wastewater line that transports wastewater from the outside of the house foundation to the street sewer main line. They back up due to the following:

Tree Roots

In older pipes, joints sometimes fail, allowing microscopic tree roots to enter and feed on wastewater. As time passes, the roots grow bigger and can stop the flow of wastewater because they catch items that should never be flushed down the toilet or sink such as feminine hygiene products, toilet cleaning products, baby wipes, diapers, rags, grease, toys, etc.

If the water flow stops, the property owner should call either a plumber or the City to open the lateral sewer line. If the City is called out, our current charge out rate will be explained to the property owner before work starts and the property owner will have to sign a Release form stating they understand the charges and will pay the invoice once received. The City can arrange for a payback schedule if the property owner cannot afford to pay the total invoice at once.

If the City is called to a plugged lateral sewer line, the workers do have some restrictions before they can work on the lateral line, such as:

1. The house must have a lateral sewer line cleanout next to an exterior foundation. The City will not try to run their equipment from an interior “stack” clean out to the wastewater main in the street.

2. The lateral sewer line cannot run under a building lien-to, porch, garage, garden shed, etc. If a tool gets stuck, we may have to dig up the lateral line to retrieve the tool.

3. Access to the cleanout location must be safe. City staff will not climb down crawl space or basement ladders to get to the clean out and stairs must be safe and well maintained.

4. The cleanout must be readily assessable. It cannot be hidden in a wall or under tiles, linoleum or carpet that must be damaged to get at the cleanout.

5. The area around the cleanout must be dry. City workers use electrical equipment to remove plugs and will not work in water due to the risk of electrical shock.

6. If the source of the plugged lateral sewer line is due to items that should not have been flushed down into the sewer system, the City will fine the property owner.

 If the problem is tree roots, the property owner has two choices to make:

1. Schedule regular maintenance to have the lateral sewer pipe cleaned by a rotary cutter. The City recommends that a plumber is hired to conduct a regular schedule cleaning. The property owner will be responsible for all charges, regardless if the City does the cleaning or not, and the City will not reimburse the property owner for any of the costs.

2. Reline or replace the lateral sewer line which involves the property owner hiring a municipal contractor to dig part or all of the lateral sewer pipe from the building foundation to the wastewater main in the street. The City can recommend a contractor and will usually pay for the costs from the property line to the wastewater main. The property owner is responsible for paying for the costs incurred from the property line to the foundation, including landscaping, sidewalk or driveway that had to be removed and/or replaced, replacement of trees or bushes, etc.

If tree roots are found in the lateral sewer pipe, it will need to be replaced. Tree roots can grow far distances so may not necessarily be from the closest tree. Boulevard trees will not be cut down.

Collapsed Pipe

A collapsed lateral sewer line must be dug up and replaced. The property owner will have to hire a municipal contractor to replace the lateral sewer line from the house foundation to the sewer main. The City will cost-share the replacement cost for the lateral sewer line depending on the location of the collapse.

Frozen Sewer Pipe

Where the lateral sewer lines are too shallow and prone to freezing in severe winters. In these cases, the City will make arrangements for property owners to run a constant stream of water into a drain to keep the sewer line from freezing. If the lateral sewer line still freezes, the City will come out to thaw the line. Usually, there is no charge to the property owner.

Sagged Lateral Sewer Pipe

If the lateral sewer line has sagged, it needs to be dug up and relayed. Depending on the work to be done, the City may or may not participate in the cost-share program with the property owner. These cases are determined on a case by case basis. If the water service line is lead, the water line will be changed out at the same time as the lateral sewer line is dug up.

Sewer Main Line Backup

Main sewer lines run under the street and are used to transport wastewater from the sewer lines to the wastewater treatment plant for processing. They back up when they become plugged from grease, rags, feminine hygiene products, flushable wipes, cleaning products, and other items that residents should never flush down the drain.


How do I know what type of sewer back up I have?

If the upstairs toilet is plugged but the kitchen sink still works, it’s a house plumbing backup.

If it is a lateral sewer backup, all the house plumbing is plugged. If you put any water down the drain, it will come out of the lowest part of the basement. You need to either call the City or a plumber.

In main sewer line backups, wastewater will be coming into your house, regardless if you use water or not. Call City Hall at 306-445-1700 to report the problem.

My sewer is backing up. What do I do?

Call either the City or a plumber but be prepared to pay for the plumber’s service. In most cases, the City will not reimburse you for calling a plumber. If you call the City, you may be billed as well depending on the circumstances that the City worker finds that caused the sewer back up.

Move items away from the flow coming into your property. Do not use your bathroom, sinks, or water while the sewer backup is occurring as it will only make things worse.

If I had a sewer back up, what do I do?

Call your Insurance Broker and be prepared to answer the following questions:

1. What happened?
2. What time did the incident occur?
3. What was damaged?
4. What did you do to protect your property?
5. Who did you call for help?
6. What time did you call for help and what time did they arrive?
7. Who came (name of the company who came to help) and what did they do?
8. Did you take pictures of the damage?

If the incident happened at night and you called a private business for help, please call the City in the morning to inform them. They too may ask similar questions for their record.

If your furnace and/or hot water heater was involved in the flooding, call SaskPower and/or SaskEnergy to come and check whether these items were damaged and require replacing.

Remember, all damage claims against the City must go through your insurance company.

Garbage and Recycling

Who is responsible for the garbage and recycle roll-out carts?

The City purchased the garbage and recycle carts for each residential property owner; however, it is the property owner’s responsibility to ensure that the roll-out carts are not damaged or destroyed.

What happens if a garbage and recycle roll-out carts are damaged?

If the damage is minor, it can be repaired. If the damage is more extensive, or the roll-out cart is totally damaged, the property owner will be responsible to replace the cart at their cost.

Who owns the roll-out carts?

The City owns the carts, but they are for the designated use of the property owner. If the property owner sells their property, the cart remains with the property to be used by the new property owner.

What is the minimum of each type of roll out cart that I must have?

Each residential property owner must have 1 garbage cart and 1 recycle cart.

I produce more waste than one cart can handle. Can I have more than one roll-out cart?

Yes. The City allows property owners to have a maximum of 8 roll-out carts comprised of up to 4 garbage carts and 4 recycling carts. I.e. A property owner can have 3 recycle roll-out carts and 2 garbage carts. It is the responsibility of the property owner to put the roll-out carts out at the time of pick up.

Can I use my own roll-out cart?

No. The City has designated the type of carts to use and with a serial number assigned to that property. The City contractors will not pick up roll-out carts that do not belong to the City.

Why was my roll-out cart not picked up?

The following are the most common reasons why a roll-out cart is not picked up:

  1. The lid of the roll-out cart was open. The lid must be fully closed.
  2. There was waste material outside of the cart.
  3. Roll out cart was facing in the wrong direction.
  4. Roll out cart was too close to another roll-out cart or vehicle and could not be picked up.
  5. Roll out cart was not on the street when the contractor drove by the property.
  6. The wrong roll-out cart was put out on the pickup day.

I believe I did everything right yet my roll-out cart was still not picked up. What do I do?

Please contact City Hall. Each truck is equipped with a camera that will be checked in order to determine why the roll-out cart was not picked up.

If I missed my pickup day, do I have to wait two weeks for my next pickup?

No. The property owner can call City Hall at 306-445-1700 during normal business hours to arrange for a special pick up of their roll-out cart outside of the normally scheduled pick up time.

Every once in a while, my one cart is not enough to handle all of the waste material but two carts are too much for everyday use. What can I do?

Property owners can arrange for an extra pick up by coming to City Hall 1291-101st Street, during regular business hours and paying the fee at the cashier. The Pick up will be done on the next business day.

If my roll-out cart goes missing, what can I do?

First, report the missing roll-out cart to City Hall. They will try to locate your cart. However, since carts are the responsibility of the property owner, if lost, a new one will be charged to the property owner.

Someone drove into and damaged/destroyed my roll-out cart without stopping. What do I do?

Report the hit and run to the RCMP first then report the damaged cart to City Hall. The damaged cart is still the property owner’s responsibility for replacement. If the RCMP can identify who damaged the cart, the replacement costs for the cart will be added onto the driver’s insurance and the property owner will be reimbursed the replacement cost.

Can I leave my roll-out cart out on the road in the winter?

No, the Bylaw requires carts to be returned to your property.

We are putting on a special event (block party, social or family gathering, etc.). How do I get extra garbage and recycle roll-out carts for my special event?

The City does not provide garbage or recycle carts for special events like block parties, picnics and special family events in the park, or commercial events such as street festivals or office parties. We would suggest that you contact a commercial solid waste hauler to obtain the solid waste carts or bins for a special event. 


What is compost?

Compost is leaves, garden material or vegetable scraps that break down into decomposed organic material that eventually becomes soil. Sticks, bush and tree branches are not considered compostable material in the City compost program.

Where can I take my compost?

Compost can be taken to the Waste Management Facility free of charge.

Does the City have a pickup program?

Yes. For one week, usually the week before Halloween, City Operation crews will go through the city to pick up leaves and garden compost material left in translucent bags in front of properties. For more information, click here and scroll to "Compost".

I wish to compost my grass clipping throughout summer and early spring. What can I do?

Residents can take their grass clippings in plastic bags to the Waste Management Facility and place them in the bins provided all year long at no charge.

What if I cannot take my compost to the Waste Management Facility, what can I do?

Loraas Environmental Sevices has a program in which City residents may rent a green roll-out cart to collect compost material. Loraas will collect the compost material and haul it to the waste management facility. This is not part of the City’s operation and is solely operated by Loraas. For more information, please contact Loraas Environmental Services at 306-445-3900.

Why does the City not allow us to place compost materials on the street to be picked up by the street cleaner?

Placing leaves and grass clippings on the street for the street cleaner to pick up is against City Bylaws 1946 and 1900. This material flows down the street during rainstorms, plugging the catch basin, interfering with stormwater drainage patterns which can result in flooding.

If a large amount of compost or leaves is found on the road in front of the property, the property owner may be ordered by a Community Safety Officer to clean it up. If the property owner does not comply, a private contractor will be hired to pick up the debris and the property owner will be charged for the cleanup. 

Household Hazardous Waste

What is Household Hazardous Waste?

Household hazardous waste includes corrosive, flammable or poisonous material like aerosols, adhesives, automotive cleaning products, oils, fuels, cleaning products, corrosive products, oxidizers, pesticides, herbicides, fluorescent tube, compact fluorescent tubes, oxidizers, solvents, etc.

Why are these products dangerous?

Putting these materials in your garbage or recycling, or pouring them down the drain, contaminates water and landfills. They need to be properly disposed of.

What can I do when I’m finished with the household hazardous waste material?

The City coordinates two regular household hazardous waste days per year – in the spring and fall. Times and locations are advertised in the local newspaper, on local bulletin boards and on the City’s website. The City does not charge residents for the disposal of these products; however, the product should be in its original container and clearly labelled. Find more information here (scroll down to Household Hazardous Waste). 

What other opportunities do I have that I recycle/dispose of household hazardous materials?

SARCAN accepts without charge leftover paint and empty paint cans. They will also accept electronic items such as computers and computer components, desktop printers, fax machines, monitors, TVs, audio/video systems, non-cellular phones, etc. Contact SARCAN for more information 306-445-1660 or visit

Medication can be taken back to the participating Medication Return Program pharmacies within the City.

For questions on where to dispose of certain material, please consult our "What Goes Where" section.

Waste Management Facility (WMF)

What is leachate?

Rainwater that has travelled through waste material (garbage) and accumulates at the bottom of the landfill pit.

Why are charges at the Waste Management Facility so high?

The Waste Management Facility manages the final disposal of waste. Most people only see the landfill pit, but there is much more to the operation than just burying waste material in the landfill pit.

Costs that are recovered from the WMF fee include:

  • Construction costs to build the landfill pit.
  • The engineering design and supervision required while the landfill pit was expanded.
  • Operation cost for maintaining the leachate pumping station and collection system.
  • The cost to put and compact the garbage in the pit as well as cleanup costs when the wind blows garbage around the WMF.
  • Purchase and leasing of equipment to do various work at the landfill i.e. compacting, etc.
  • Groundwater testing to ensure that groundwater is not being contaminated.
  • Recycling, containment costs for fluids, i.e. oils, antifreeze, etc.
  • Removal of refrigerant gases that cannot be released into the atmosphere.
  • Submission of 3rd party independent reports to either provincial and federal agencies on the operation of the WMF.
  • Costs to dispose of a special material that must be handled with great care, i.e.: asbestos.
  • When the City expands the landfill pit again in the future, there will be more engineering design and supervision costs, construction costs, expansion of the leachate collection system and further testing. The last piece will be the decommissioning costs and the continued testing of the groundwater that will continue decades after the landfill has been closed.



I think I have Leafy Spurge (an invasive plant that can take over landscapes). What can I do?

Call City Hall (306-445-1700) to report any suspicious plants. During the year, an inspector travels around the City looking for noxious weeds. When leafy spurge is found, the property owner will be notified and proper measures to eradicate the weed will be carried out.

Does the Parks Branch just look after Parks?

No. Parks is also responsible for Cemetery grounds, designate road right-a-ways, drainage ditches, City property for sale, etc. They also clean up unkempt private properties, when requested by a Community Safety Officer. The property owner will then be charged for the cleanup.

Urban Forests

There is a tree in front of my property. Is it mine or a City tree?

The City has a large inventory of trees that they maintain on boulevards and the property side of sidewalks. The best way to find out if you have a City tree is to call City Hall and provide the location of the tree. Urban Forest crews will come to take a look and tell you if it is a City tree or not.

If a tree is on City property, is it a City tree?

Maybe. In some cases, trees planted past the property fence line are not a City tree. In other cases, the tree may have “suckered” from the parent tree root and is now growing on City property. The best way to find out who owns the tree is to call City Hall at 306-445-1700.

There is a tree in the alley, is it a City tree?

The City does not plant trees in the alley. For front and side yards, contact City Hall and we will advise the property owner.

Will the City remove a tree in the alley?

If the City receives a complaint that a tree/bush is in the alley, they may contact the property owner. If the property owner cannot be reached, or the tree poses a hazard to the general public, the City may remove the offending tree/bush and invoice the property owner whose property abuts next to the tree.

If a tree branch from a private yard is growing into the alley, and blocks or hangs down into the alley, the City will notify the property owner of the complaint. If the property owner does not resolve the issue in a specific period of time, or the branch impedes traffic flow in the alley, the tree branch will be removed and the cost will be the responsibility of the property owner.

Will the City remove a City tree if asked?

Maybe. All City trees have an assessed value based on the type, age, size, location and health of the tree. Once the value of the tree is determined, the property owner will be presented with the estimate for the tree, and the cost to remove the tree. The property owner must pay the total cost of the tree before the City will take down the tree.

Does the City always remove a tree when asked?

No, some trees are considered too important to be removed. Other trees, such as an elm tree, have restrictions as to when it can be removed.

Does the City have restrictions regarding tree pruning or removal?

Yes. Pruning of elm trees is prohibited from April 1st to August 31st as per provincial regulations. An elm tree will only be removed or pruned from April 1st to August 31st if the elm is dead or dying. After the tree has been removed, the stump will be ground and the wood taken to the landfill to be buried or burnt. Please note that it is illegal to store elm wood.

Can I prune a City tree?

We prefer you don’t. City crews are trained to look for cracks in the tree, signs of decay or rot, and the general condition of the tree that most property owners are not aware of. If you want a tree pruned, please call the City at 306-445-1700.

If a tree is on City property, will the City rake the leaves in the fall?


I had a tree removed, will the City remove the stump?

The City or one of its contractors will come back and grind out the stump, smooth the ground and replant the area where the stump was with grass seed. This work is scheduled to happen on a regular basis, but not weekly.

I had a tree removed, but I would like another tree put back?

In cases where the tree has been removed due to disease or it just died, the City may plant another tree in its place depending on the following:

  1. Soil conditions
  2. How close will the tree be to the sidewalk, road or other structures?
  3. What type of underground infrastructure is near the tree?
  4. How much area does the tree need?
  5. The projected canopy size of the tree?
  6. How tolerant is the tree to North Battleford’s climate?
  7. How tolerant is the tree is to bugs and disease?
  8. The other type of trees grown near the planted trees
  9. Does the tree readily sucker?
  10. What type of seeds or fruit does the tree produce?
  11. What does the property owner want?

Does the City prune trees and bushes that interfere and block sidewalks?

Yes, the City at the request of a Community Safety Officer will prune privately owned or City bushes or trees if they block the sidewalks, alleys or streets. The City will also prune or remove trees if it is felt by the CSO that it endangers the general public.